Have lump on anus, itches little. What is the cause?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I am 46 yr old female. There is a small lump on the right side of my anus. It's itches a little, what is the cause of this? Will it go away or do I need meds?
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
There are few possible causes.
If this is painful on touch it may indicate abscess or foliculitis which is common in this area. In this case you need antibiitc treatment first or surgical drainage.
If you notic blood in stool, pain during defecation it could be external hemorrhoids which can be treated by special creams and sitz baths or surgery if necessary.
If this is not painful or red then this can be simple subcutaneous lesion such as fibroma or lipoma and in this case it doesnt require any treatment.
Some other casues such as anal polyps are rare but if this persists, starts to bleed or there is pain during bowel movements, you should visit proctologist for further evaluation. Wish you good health. If you have any question I ll be glad to help.Regards
Follow-up: Have lump on anus, itches little. What is the cause? 13 minutes later
Dr. Atomic
Thank you for your response. It is not painful or red. It doesn't hurt when going to the bathroom I'm just remained its there when I wipe. Reading your response it appears to be a Subcutaneous lesion. How long before it goes times its a little itchy.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Well if you dont have associated symptoms then you dont have to be worried.
It may resolve spontaneously in 1-3 weeks,or you may need some mild steroid creams for it. If there is no improvement,then you should visit doctor who can suggest some methods of surgical removal.
If progressive pain or bleeding occur,you should visit doctor earlier.
Wish you good health.