Have lump in the groin area. Pus and blood comes after squeezing. What to do?

Critical Care Specialist
I have lump in the groin area that got big and I squeezed it and pus and blood come out
Posted Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Lymphoma
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 2 hours later

A lump in the groin could be an infected lymph node, infected lipoma, a boil, lymphoma (malignancy of lymph node), psoas abscess etc.

Most probably, this lump may be an infected lymph node. Lymph nodes are normally present in this region. They are enlarged when there is infection or malignancy in their vicinity. Enlarged lymph nodes can get infected producing puss.

If you can upload a picture of the lump, it will help me to guide you better. You have a feature to upload the image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that.

Since pus was coming out of this lump, you may need a course of antibiotic like levofloxacin and analgesic anti inflammatory drugs (pain killer), like Ibuprofen. Please consult your physician for a prescription.

If the lump is big in size and has large amount of pus coming out, then you need consultation with a general surgeon, to drain the pus from lymph node.

Hope this answers your question.

Let me know if you have any more queries, I will be readily available to answer.

Get well soon

Dr Sadiq