Have lump in side of neck and feeling uncomfortable. What should I do?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I have a lump in the left side of my neck. I kind of feels like a vein. It doesn't hurt, but it is uncomfortable. It doesn't stick out, it can only be felt under the skin.
Posted Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Hello.

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of the lump. Possibilities that may need to be considered include enlarge lymph nodes, lipomas, cysts, growths from underlying connective tissue etc.

Swollen lymph glands are the most common cause of lumps on the neck. These glands enlarge in response to infections, both bacterial and viral. They also can enlarge as the result of a malignancy or autoimmune conditions, like lupus or rheumatoid arthritis.

I would suggest getting this evaluated by doctor for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. You may get the FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) of lump done under his/her guidance.

Hope I was able to address your concern. Let me know if you need any more help.

Wishing you good health....
Dr Saurabh XXXXXXX