Have lump in nose for past few years. Bleeds after scratching. Should I be concerned?

Jul 2012

I have a lump in my nose that had been there for around 4 years. Occasionally I scratch the top off it and it bleeds profusely. My go looked at it few years ago ad seemed to think it was nothing should I be more concerned about this?
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 2 hours later
Hi there XXXXXXX
I note your clinical history & observed your geographical location with interest.
I note this lump in your nose is around for 5 years. If scratching the top off causes it to bleed, i would think it could be an entity called a pyogenic granuloma which is a skin reaction pattern & needs to be excised under local anaesthesia. Alternatively (& this is what i recommend), it may be best to approach your local surgeon or plastic surgeon or dermatologist to please excise the lesion in toto & get it biopsied. If there is a strong family history of any cutaneous malignancy or any tumors at all & based on your location, entities like a keratoacanthoma or non-malignant (non-cancerous) melanoma should be borne in mind. There is no cause for alarm, but assuming you would like it off in the first instance, then i recommend that you get it off, biopsied & put your mind at rest. You are most welcome to pass on the biopsy report to me when done & shall be happy to interpret it for you further.
For the moment, immediate worries as it has been 4 years but at 35, doubt you would like to hang onto it for purely cosmetic reasons.
Take care & Godspeed! Wish you continued good health & trust the biopsy will come out all good. Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD