Ask a Dentist   »  

Have lump in gum line. Feels hard and moves a bit. Used smokeless tobacco in past. Suggestions?

I have a lump at the very bottom of my gumline in the back. Its hard and moves a little bit not much. Its not painful. I have used smokeless tobacco in the past and my dentist have never said anything about it. Any thoughts?
Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 5 hours later
Dear friend,

Thanks for sharing your concern.

The painless lump at the bottom of your gum line could be an abscess, a bony swelling, could be due to deep pockets or a benign lesion.

Please answer these few questions so that a better diagnosis can be made.

- Since when do you have this swelling? Have you noticed an increase in size?
- Do you have any decayed tooth in your mouth or in that jaw? Have you got any X rays done for that?
- Since how long you are using tobacco?
- Are you taking any medications - either for teeth or for any other ailments?

Please give me these details.

Waiting for your response.

Let me know for further query.