Have lump in elbow. Vein swelled. Having pain and discomfort. Fel tired and sleepy. What can be done?

Hello, I have a lump the size of 1/2 golf ball about an inch below my elbow on the inside of my left arm above that is a vein which swelled up to about twice it's normal size. This happened after a couple of hours of manual labour. I have felt similar pain/discomfort each day over the last few days but didn't notice the lump or vein as I had long sleeve covering arm. Each episode lasts about 15minutes after which swelling subsides. I have felt tired and sleepy more so than usual over the last couple of months also shortness of breath after any physical exercise. I would appreciate your advice on this matter. Kind regards, XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs evaluation

Detailed Answer:

The lump cannot appear suddenly, it should be growing slowly to the present size. As an expert it is important to understand the nature of the swelling and the structure it is arising from. Muscle, bone and nerve are three things that are present there. It most commonly be a muscle. If you were hurt not deliberately, then there is a chance of hematoma forming in the muscle. It subsides with ice packing of the region in few hours to a day. If it is not subsiding head towards a physician. Since the swelling is large enough the vein is seen prominently.

On physical examination we can understand if it is mobile and where is it attached and derive a possible conclusion.

Follow-up: Have lump in elbow. Vein swelled. Having pain and discomfort. Fel tired and sleepy. What can be done? 7 minutes later
The swelling of vein extends from my elbow to within an inch of my wrist, it is not just confined to the location of the lump
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
That is expected

Detailed Answer:
yes I understand it and able to visualize it. Inflammatory swellings will have such implications on the neighbouring vein. It is good to apply ice pack for the swelling coupled with pain reliever as well. They help reduce the pain and swelling and redness of the vein.