Have lump in armpit. Can squeeze and it bleeds. Having pain. On cymbolta and valporate. What should I do?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
i have a lump in my armpit which has been there for several months. i can sqeeze it and it bleeds. when i put my arm down it gives me a pain down my arm. what should i do
Posted Sat, 6 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 26 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.

You didnt say is there some redness, is it under the skin or on the skin and is it moveable.
Since this lasts for so long and there is bleeding on manipulation it should be evaluated,but this is nothing to worry about. Most commonly, it is caused by glands inflammation(hydradenitis suppurativa), lymph node inflammation or skin bacterial infections. If I am right,you probably need antibiotic treatment so consult your GB about this.
Some less common, but more serious causes should be considered if antibiotics wont be helpful. Then you need to do ultrasound and/or needle biopsy to verify exact diagnosis after which surgical removal may be necessary.Your pain in arm may be caused by nerve compression due to this lump. This would also be seen on US.
Wish you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help.