Have lump, feels like boil on edge of vagina, which gets sore. Suggest?

I have a llump, feels like a boil on edge of my vagina, toward rear, not too sore , gets sore when i have to get up as it sticks.
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 51 minutes later
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The causes for a small lump underneath the skin at the edge of vagina could be one of the following:-

1. Bartholin's Cyst - It is formed when a Bartholin's gland is blocked, causing a fluid-filled cyst to develop. Bartholin's cyst is not an infection, although it can be caused by an infection, inflammation, or physical blockage (mucus or other impediment) to the Bartholin's ducts (tubes which lead from the glands to the vulva).

If infection sets in, the result is a Bartholin's abscess. If the infection is severe or repeated a surgical procedure known as marsupialization may be required to stop further recurrences.

2. Infected hair follicles - can form small absesses, which can cause a small swelling, but they are associated with redness and throbbing pain.

Proper diagnosis requires a proper physical examination of the swelling in question. You might consult a gynaecologist who can examine and then decide on the appropriate treatment.
Usually oral and topical antibiotics are needed along with pain killers for the treatment.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.