Have lump behind ear and feeling tired. What should be done?

Hi my 15 year old son has hard lumps behind hie ear with no pain. He has been very tired lately and I plan to take him to the doctor tomorrow. What could they be, should I insist on a blood test and appointment tomorrow? Thanks
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 25 minutes later

Most common cause of such asymptomatic lumps in this region are enlarged lymph nodes.Generally the cause is recent infection or inflammation of surrounding organs .Even dandruff can cause such nodes.

I would suggest you to provide all possible past medical history to his doctor and after clinical examination let doctor decide about further tests.

If infection or inflammation has resolved, these nodes take time to come back to normal size.Most such cases don't need any treatment.

Hope this answers your question.Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.