Have lump behind ear. Could this be a keloid or scar tissue?

ENT Specialist
Question
my daughter has a lump behind her ear where her lobe meets her jawline. shortly after her ears were pierced, she was hit with a playground ball and didn't tell us until a week later because her earlobe had grown around the earring back. we were able to remove it; but the bump has been there since....could this be a keloid or scar tissue or something else?
Posted Sun, 16 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for the query

If the lump is over the area mentioned by you (behind the ear where the lobe meets the jawline), then it could be a jugulo-digastric lymph node enlargement. The lymph nodes are like the policemen of our body; they get enlarged when there is ongoing infection.

If it were to be a keloid, it would have appeared over the area where the piercing was done. Moreover, it will be firm in consistency.

Finally, the swelling over the lobe following injury could be a haematoma (collection of blood under the skin), which will take time for complete resolution. The correct diagnosis can be made only after examining the lesion.

If you can mail us the photo of the swelling, we will be able to help you in a better way. You can send the attachment to YYYY@YYYY , in the subject column mention it as special attention to Dr. Naveen Kumar N.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Have lump behind ear. Could this be a keloid or scar tissue? 22 minutes later
Thank you so much for the thorough response. I'll send a picture tomorrow for your assessment.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 19 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for writing back

Please do mail me the photographs.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Have lump behind ear. Could this be a keloid or scar tissue? 12 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX

I have attached two images of the bump that is located behind my daugther's earlobe. Thank you for your willingness to review it. Please let me know if you are able to determine what it might be as I am gathering from your initial response that it is not a keloid nor does it seem to be a jugulo-digastric lymph node.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks!

Hi

Thanks for posting the pictures

I have gone through the photos thoroughly and I do feel it is more of an inflammatory swelling (appears to be a sub epithelial lymphatic swelling) secondary to allergic reaction or infection at the ear piercing site. I doubt any keloid formation.

Keloid formation happens right over the pierced site, but in this picture the inflammatory swelling is far behind the punctured site.

You did the best by removing the ear rings. Next step required is a short course of oral antibiotics to reduce the inflammation and infection if any. You can try giving either a combination of amoxycillin/clavulanic acid or cefuroxime; both are effective in treating superficial infections.

Hope this answers your query. I wish your child a good health and good luck.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon