Have lump attached to upper part of testicle. Should I be worried for cancer?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013
Excellent

Neurologist
Question
can a lump attached to upper part of left testicle since 11/12 years without pain and allows light to pass through it be cancer or any chance of being cancer in future ?
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 minutes later
Thank you for posting your query.

A lump in the scrotum, which allows light to pass through it (transillumination) is likely to contain fluid. The commonest condition in this situation is hydrocoele. Definitely, it can not be a cancer.

I hope it helps.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad

Follow-up: Have lump attached to upper part of testicle. Should I be worried for cancer? 14 minutes later
Thank U sir. But actually it is there since 11/12 years but light passing nature discovered just before few days. (Previously it was never seen whether light passes through it or not). Can still your answer be same ? And another thing is that can testicular cancer be there for such a long period ? Please help me sir. Thank U .

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 minutes later
Thank you for getting back with more details.

My answer would still be the same.

Testicular cancer is felt as a hard mass, light can not pass through it, and it is painful. So, we can conclusively forget about cancer in this case.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: Have lump attached to upper part of testicle. Should I be worried for cancer? 2 minutes later
thank u sir. But can testicular cancer exist without any cancer treatment for such a long period ?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.

Testicular cancer spreads rapidly without treatment, and the lump also rapidly increases in size, if treatment is not given.

In most cases, the testis should be surgically removed, and followed with chemotherapy if someone has testicular cancer.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM