Have lump attached to testicle. Is this a testicular cancer or a normal cyst?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012

Question
hi I am having a lump attached to my left testicle(on its upper part) about 1.5/2 cm width (shape is like an egg) since 11/12 years. I don't have any pain with it and after all not having any problem with it. It is not increasing in size. I don't have any history of testicular cancer in my family . Is it testicular cancer or a normal cyst or any other thing which may not be harmfull for me ? I am afraid. Please help me. please somebody help me I am very much upset. Please help me. age- 32 years , sex- male
Posted Thu, 24 Jan 2013 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 26 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Your lump is longstanding and did not increase in size. So, there is very little chance of being a cancer. In case of a cancer, it must get increased recently and you may have some other features like metastasis, enlarged lymph node, and many more.

Your description sounds more like a hydrocele or other benign disease condition. So, do not get depressed, just do not neglect it for more days.

You need a thorough clinical examination like palpation for its size, shape, extent, etc. Illumination test should be done. An ultrasound scan should be done. And lastly, it should be removed surgically.

So, consult with a general surgeon first for a thorough clinical examination, for ordering necessary investigations and also for further management accordingly.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more questions.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have lump attached to testicle. Is this a testicular cancer or a normal cyst? 11 minutes later
sir, thank you so much for your reply. I have asked another doctor who told me that nothing to be worried because it is a normal structure of male body and called epididymis (although he has not examined it physically he only answered by listening symptoms only). But he said that epididymis is an irregular mass attached to upper part of the testicle. But in my case although the mass is a on the upper part but it is regular shaped (like an egg). So is it an epididymmis ? Please help me sir. I will be oblized.

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 13 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, epididymis is really present in upper part of testis. But it is a very small structure. You described it like an egg. So, it is larger than normal size of epididymis.

So, you have to undergo clinical examination and investigations I have mentioned previously to differentiate it from an epididymis. .

Hope you have your answers.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have lump attached to testicle. Is this a testicular cancer or a normal cyst? 4 minutes later
no sir its not like an egg in size but it is like an egg in shape. In other words it is just like a small testicle.

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 11 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Ok. It is like an egg in shape.

But, you should just consult a doctor for a clinical examination. It is the only way to tell actually what it is.

I just gave you the possibilities. But, it is impractical to give a definite diagnosis without examining you in person.

Regards.