Have lump and swelling on buttock near anus. Cause and treatment?

I have a lump, swelling the size of a golf ball on my buttock near my anus but not in it.
Posted Sat, 14 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Abscess vs hematoma

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,

Thanks for your query. Given the location and size, the most common acute or sub-acute causes would include a gluteal or perianal abscess, or a hematoma (blood collection). Differentiating between both can be tricky and requires physical examination and probably, if the suspicion is correct, aspiration and drainage; some of the hematomas are left to resolve on their own, particularly if they have been caused by trauma. I would highly recommend you to see your physician so he can examine and determine if aspiration is needed.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
Follow-up: Have lump and swelling on buttock near anus. Cause and treatment? 13 minutes later
How serious is it and how soon should I see a Doctor? What causes it? It appreared suddenlly after sitting for a long time. Will it go away on its own?
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Variable depending on cause

Detailed Answer:
It is not life threatening but you should see your doctor soon, because if it is an abscess, then it requires drainage and perhaps antibiotics; if it is a hematoma, many times it is excepted to reabsorb, but it can take from weeks to months. An abscess in that area is caused by translocation of colonic bacteria into the tissues, a hematoma results from bleeding into the muscle, either by trauma or spontaneously in people taking blood thinners

Truly yours