Have lower right abdominal pain. Had a colonoscopy, which was normal. Cause for pain?

General Surgeon
I have lower right abdominal pain. I have been checked by a GYN and had a colonoscopy. They have seen nothing to account for the pain. The pain goes from sharp jabs to a constant dull ache. The pain will sometimes go away but the tenderness always remains. Any ideas?
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

To be able to help you I need to know some more details:
- has a gynecologist done transvaginal ultrasound?
- does your pain appear after a meal?
- does your abdomen get bloated?
- do you have any constipation, diarrhea?
- does your pain radiate to the back or groin?
- is there any lump in the groin?
- does it hurt more when coughing or walking?
- how long do you have this pain?
- has it appeared suddenly or gradually?
- do you have any physical activity like jogging or bike riding?

Lower right abdominal pain can be caused by appendicitis, ovarian cyst, ovarian inflammation, pregnancy, inguinal hernia, urinary tract stones, inflammation of the adductor muscles.

Appendicitis is possible if the pain is with you no longer than few days. Nausea, slight fever, pain while walking should be also present. Heart rate should be increased.

Ovarian cyst can give pain only, should be visible in the transvaginal ultrasound.

Inguinal hernia usually gives a lump in the groin (can be visible when standing and coughing). The pain aggravates while coughing or lifting heavy objects.

Urinary tract infection or stones gives also back pain, burning while urinating, frequent urinating, blood can be present in the urine.

Inflammation of the adductor muscles can give symptoms similar to inguinal hernia (but there is no lump in the groin). It is more possible if you are physically active person.

It seems that you need to have some more diagnostics. Abdominal CT with oral contrast (enteroclysis) seems to be necessary. General surgeon should also examine you.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Have lower right abdominal pain. Had a colonoscopy, which was normal. Cause for pain? 23 hours later
Thanks for your response. I did have a transvaginal ultrasound and my Dr. saw nothing abnormal. That's when he sent me to the gastreontologist where she did a colonoscopy and also found nothing significant. The pain started as an ache before meals and did begin to become a sharp pain after one small meal. i did not eat much after that and the sharp pain lingered for several hours and became a dull ache again in the middle of the night. it remains a dull ache and although I am hungry I am fearful of eating because the sharp pain is so intense. I am bloated and feel somewhat constipated although I have had several bowel movements. I have been very active for the last 4 months- running almost every day. (usually on the elliptical). No lump in the groin but the pain goes very low into my abdomen. The extreme sharp pain began yesterday but the dull ache has come and gone for months.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 minutes later
According to your symptoms small intestine partial obstruction seems probable and needs to be ruled out. Especially that food triggers your symptoms. Small intestine is right after the stomach and in case of its narrowing the food can not flow freely. This causes such symptoms.
Colonoscopy has ruled out large intestine issues. But small intestine condition lefts unknown. That is why mentioned before test (abdominal CT with oral contrast - enteroclysis) should be done.

Hope this will help.
Follow-up: Have lower right abdominal pain. Had a colonoscopy, which was normal. Cause for pain? 30 minutes later
Thank you!! You have been very helpful!!
You are welcome. Hope you will get well soon.