Have lower back pain with very sharp pains on some movement. Have eye swelling. Both the symptoms linked?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have lower back pain with very sharp pains on some movement. I have not done anything that I'm aware of to cause this pain. It has been getting more Severe throughout the day and weeks. I have had some eye swelling in the last few weeks. I thought i might have touched my eyes with something that i was allergic too but have not been able to pin point anything that I might have come in contact with. Could these 2 symptoms be linked to an issue.
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Very rarley yes

Detailed Answer:
Hi, I read your question and I understand that you are wondering about possible connection between the eye swelling and back pain.

Also it is uncommon but some people may develop type of inflammatory arthritis which can affect joints including the spine (back) as well as other parts of the body including the eyes. but the clinical picture in the eye will be much more than simple swelling, there will be pain, blurred vision and redness which does not settle quickly without treatment.

If your eye symptoms settled completely then you do not need to worry about it.
I will recommend simple analgesia and anti-inflammatory tablets (Ibuprofen or Voltaren) for few days and some physio therapy if no improvement.

If you need to make sure about possible inflammatory arthritis you can get blood test for that, so consult your doctor to see which tests will be useful in your case.

Hope this answers your query. Please write back if you have further questions.

kind regards