Have lower back pain, had injections, tried chiropractor but no relief. Noticed lump on shoulder. Advise?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi , I am XXXXXX... aged 55 yrs , weigh approx 10 st , am active ( spinning , yoga , golf ) , but have persistent lower back pain ... wakes me up at night ... ahve been going to Physio , had injections , tried chiropractor , all seem to help but no long term relief ... have now discovered I have a lump on the bone on my shoulder , had one on the vertebrae mid back next to my spine..... Just feel that I am not getting to the cause of the problem ... what can you advise ? Thanks
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Tiwari 1 hour later
I have read details of your question.

Chronic low back pain can be there due to various reasons-

-Abnormal posture

-Osteoporosis or bone weakness

-Lumber spondylosis, There is degenerative bone changes in this.

-Prolapsed intervertebral disc

-Infection in bones of back

-Bone tumors

In case your pain is continuous & you are not involved with heavy work, not having abnormal posture, then it will be better to have a MRI of spine. This will be able to give you details about problem at your backbone. At present you should do following to have relief in this-

-Avoid abnormal posture. Keep your back straight.

-Take calcium supplementation to check presence of bone weakness.

-Do warm fomentation over back.

-Do exercises of spine to increase the endurance of spine.

-You may have a mild analgesic. I used to treat such patient with help of combination of paracetamol & tramadol. These are prescription medicines.

Hope you will have relief by following above-mentioned points.

Wish you a speedy recovery.