Have lower back pain going down to leg with numbness and burning. Had surgery to remove benign cyst

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have pain in my lower back and now down my left leg I have numbness and burning , mostly when I walk. I have had surgery 2yrs. ago on L4 to remove a benin cyst which was piching a nerve. All was ok till now.I have had an MRI of the lumbar spine. I do have degenerative disk disease and some facet arthritic changes.
In the surgery they did fuse L4- L5.

Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it could be trapped nerve in spine again

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

Your symptoms sound like radiculopathy pain (coming from trapped nerve in your spine)
I understand in the previous surgery they relived the pressure off the pinched nerve and fused the L4/5 vertebra, but as you noticed in the new MRI scan there is degenerative changes (wear and tear) in your spine which mean you could have now another trapped nerve causing your leg symptoms.

I will recommend simple analgesia for now, if no improvement in few weeks then review spinal surgeon for further assessment.

best wishes,