Have lower back pain. MRI showed right posterolateral disc estrusion at L5-S1 Level. What to do?

Spine Surgeon
Hi Doctor
I have lower back pain on the right side and in right leg..
MRI Report says - Right posterolateral disc estrusion noted at L5-S1 Level..
I am currently taking Ultracet, Hifenac and Renerve tablets..
Dr has suggested me to go for Epidural injection...
can it not cure without injection? if yes than what should I do?
Posted Tue, 20 Nov 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 43 minutes later
You have disc herniation which give rise to leg pain. This is also called as sciatica. If this is the first episode, then there is >90% chance that you will get better with medicine and physiotherapy or sometime we give nerve root block. Injection is usually indicated to reduce the leg pain which helps in rapid recovery. Injection does not cure the problem. Rather, it helps to calm down the firing nerve. Once your disc is damaged. it will always remain like that however over a period the nerve root irritation goes away and you start getting better. Surgery is considered as the last option if all other measures failed. Currently I would suggest if you have significant leg pain then you should go for the nerve root block and after that you can continue medicines and physiotherapy.