Have lower abdominal cramping and soreness. Suffer constipation. Blood test showed amylase 120, MCH 31.1 and leukocyte 4.0. Guide?

I am 54 year old male. Five foot ten. Weight 170. Normal blood pressure. Lately have had some lower abdominal cramping and a bit of lower back soreness. The back only lasted a day. For a day now I have had some constipation and then a clear gelatinous substance in my stool. Color of stool is normal to a tad dark. Recent blood test results showed amylase 120, MCH 31.1, leukocyte 4.0, neutrophil 35.4 and lymphocyte 53.3. My white blood cell count has been 4 for a couple years. I am an American living in XXXXXXX for work and would like to have an outside opinion before going to doctor here.
Posted Thu, 25 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

It would be interesting to know the kind of job you do, for certain positions simply in their own could explain most back pain experienced in the working environment. Abdominal cramping associated with gelatinous substance in stool could range from very simple, non serious to serious problems, which, of course I believe is not the case with you. An alteration in the diet, with eating less vegetables, fruits, fibre and fluid taking habits could influence enormously the stool characteristics. Exercise and certain drugs could also cause this.

A stool examination could however be useful to exclude ameobiasis, which actually presents as such. A stool culture and sensitivity tests are routine tests usually done. I would love to know if you have recurrent constipation or this is only one of the rare occasions. In case its recurrent, especially above the age of 50, it is advisable to get a colonoscopy and test for occult blood. A family history of colon cancer also should make screening for colonic cancer using colonoscopy systematic.

A serum Amylase Level between 40 to 140 is within normal limits. You need not bother in the regard. The normality of this test greatly excludes any possibility of acute pancreatitis. Your mean corpuscular hemoglobin level, MCH, is within normal limits, no worries at that level. Leukocyte count at 4.0 is within the normal range. it should not raise concerns. Its when it goes greatly below 4.0 that it becomes an issue. The values or percentages presented for neutrophils and lymphocytes, constituting the differential count, are within normal ranges.

I do not think you should have a serious health concern. Emphases lies mainly on the posture you adopt that could help in explaining your back pain. A proper vegetable, fruit XXXXXXX fibre XXXXXXX diet is very appropriate. Drinking lots of water and fluids too help. Exercise is really very useful in constipation. After the age of 50, doing a routine colonoscopic is highly advised. A stool examination and culture could be useful in identifying any occult blood parasites or bacteria.

However, the core is a detailed and carefully carried out clinical evaluation. Thanks and hope this helps as I wish you the best of health. Kind regards.

Bain LE, MD.