Have low temperature, back pain, hip pain, hurting knee, hair loss and mouth sores. Could it be lupus?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have an appt with a rheumatologist in November, earliest I can get in. I have many symptoms of lupus, but the last two days I have had a low temperature, severe lower back pain, hip pain, and if I walk even a short distance my knees hurt extremely bad. By low temperature I mean between 97.1 to 97.5. My symptoms of lupus are many, but some are joint pain, flu like symptoms, hair loss, mouth sores, rash and itchy skin, fatigue, sensitive to sun, swollen hands and feet. These come and go with periods of feeling slightly better.
Posted Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The symptoms you have mentioned are suggestive of lupus.
The pain in the hip and knees with the mildly low body temperature are also likely to be related to the same problem.
For proper diagnosis, some of the blood tests are advisable like-
1. Serum calcium levels.
2. Serum Uric acid levels.
3. RA factor
4. ESR and CRP
5. Serum Creatinine
6. X-ray of affected joints.
You need a thorough clinical examination followed by investigations under the guidance of a Rheumatologist.
Till then for symptomatic relief, you can take over the counter analgesics, do hot fomentation and apply local analgesic gel on the affected areas.
You can try gaultheria oil or oil of winter XXXXXXX so many patients of mine are telling they are relieved of pain with that.
You have to apply the oil on the area that has pain.
Increasing the dietary fish intake and/or fish oil capsules (omega-3 capsules) can sometimes reduce the inflammation .
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.