Have low sugar conditions often. C peptide is 2.4 What does it mean?

i get low sugar conditions often. my c peptide is 2.4 What does it mean?
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Anantharaman 29 minutes later

Could you write in with a few more details as mentioned below so that I can give you helpful suggestions?
1) Describe what symptoms you feel and since when?
2) Do you get these symptoms after a long period of fasting - especially overnight? Or do you get it at any time? When is it more?
3) Does eating relieve your symptoms?
4) Have you gained weight in the past?
5) Do you have Diabetes, hypertension? Are you taking any medicines for the same?
6) What was the lowest glucose recorded?
7) I have noted the c peptide level. In order to interpret this level we need a simultaneous glucose value. If you have sugar values please provide it.

Awaiting your reply...

Anantharaman R
Follow-up: Have low sugar conditions often. C peptide is 2.4 What does it mean? 20 minutes later
Two months ago i fell down unconcious. My sugar level was 72.This is after taking some sugar.Since then I developed double vision on my left eye which still persists,

My MRI and CT scan are Ok.

I feel very tired often particularly in the evenings, Taking sugar juice helps. I am not diabetic. But an hyper tensive since long. I take the following.

Dilcontin 120, Listril 10, Aquazide 25. Supradyn, Tonact 10, Ecosprin 75,veltamplus [for proatate]and vit D3 tab. I am 5ft 7inches and weigh now 88Kg. My weight has increased of late.
Answered by Dr. Anantharaman 2 hours later

Thanks for the detailed response.

The glucose value that was recorded is not suggestive of hypoglycemia (but you have also mentioned you have already taken sugar). In non diabetic subjects we usually make a diagnosis of hypoglycemia if all of the following three are present - symptoms of low glucose sweating, tremor, hunger, low glucose values usually below 56 mg/dl and symptoms relieved.

Now coming back to your query, isolated C-peptide value has no clinical significance without a corresponding blood sugar level - was a sugar level done correspondingly?
As the symptoms you reported could be caused by many other things and not due to low glucose alone, we cannot interpret the isolated C-peptide value.

In order to find out if you in fact have a hypoglycemic disorder we usually advice patients to undergo a supervised fast where we try to induce a spontaneous hypoglycemia and during the hypoglycemia we measure an insulin and c peptide levels- which will help us to identify the cause of hypoglycemia.

Please consult an endocrinologist and a good physician who can help identify what your problem is. He/she can repeat the test with corresponding blood sugars which will help us identify the condition.

Hope this answers your query.