Have low sperm motility, undergone varicocele surgery. Which is better IVF or IUI?

Infertility Specialist
I have low Sperm motiliy .(Rapid Progressive around 10) .
I have undergone Varicocele surgery 6 months ago .
My sperm count is 30 million but Motility is 10% .

From This month I am taking
Oligocare fort tablets .

Doctor suggested you may go for IVF .

My wife age is 25 .

We want to wait couple of months before taking a decicion .

My doubt is :

What is IUI .
Which is better IVF or IUI ?
Whis is safest and less painful .
Which is less Expensive .

Or pls suggest any other alternatives.

Please help.
Posted Sat, 15 Sep 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Nandita Thakkar 31 minutes later
thank you for writing in to HCM

For the low sperm motility - you are on oligocare as prescribed. Please take the medication for at least 3 months and repeat the test. If the motility is still low then you will have look at some treatment options suggested.

In IUI - the motility is important as the sperm has to travel from within the uterus into the fallopian tube to XXXXXXX the egg.

The lesser the sperm motility more complex is the treatment as the sperm needs to be aided to get closer to the egg and enter for the process of conception to begin.

The cost of course for the IVF is more than the IUI.But what matters more is the sperm motility, to move towards the egg and fertilize it

hope to have answered your query
Dr Nandita Thakkar