Have low platelet count and high triglyceride. Suggest?

Dec 2012

my platelet count in 120
I'm 58 years old (female)
triglycerides 237
hgb 16.5
hct 47.4
was called in for more blood work
are these numbers cause for concern
Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Platelet, HGB and triglycerides are abnormal

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

Well these values are respectively abnormal.
Your platelet count is lower than normal. Reference range is between 150-0000 counts/microliter meaning that you have thrombocytopenia. Now, the type will depend on other coexisting signs/symptoms (including other abnormal blood works).

Your triglyceride (lipid) is high (with normal range should be <150 mg/dl) which means you have hypertriglyceridemia and this should only be considered severe by considering other lipids such as LDL and HDL cholesterols (if other dyslipidemias exist). I suppose it is the reason why you have been called for other blood works such as complete blood count (CBC), complete lipid profile, fasting blood sugar etc.

Your Hemoglobin (Hgb) level is slightly elevated (a condition known as polycythemia) but I do not think it is actually a problem given that significant values should be above 16.5 g/dl in order that hematologic malignancies should be suspected. How ever, your hematocrit (HCT) is within normal range which also can confirm the fact that your slightly increased hgb should be a cause for concern.
How ever, what needs to be looked into is your low platelet count and your triglycerides as they are clearly abnormal and could transmit a serious pathological state. I am also positive how ever the situation, your condition will definitely be treatable.

Wish you the best and I hope you have a better health.
Dr. Nsah