Have low platelet count and asked to got to oncologist. All other test normal. Advise?

My platelet count is 154, was 159 in March and 121 in Nov and now my Dr is sending me to an oncologist. All my other tests are fine. Is this much of anything to worry about?
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later

I understand you are concerned about the dropping platelet counts while all other blood counts have been in limit. Though there is sequential reduction in the values, I would like to know the units of measurement mentioned in your laboratory report.

Presuming the values are low, yes the gradual decline though not very significant is concerning. You will need to be examined in detail - abdominal examination to look for signs of liver and spleen enlargement, skin changes (bruising) apart from couple of blood tests before option for invasive tests. The test would be performed at your hematologist/oncologist's office. We will be able to decide the steps of management based on those results.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarification.