Have low number of white cell. Suffering from diarrhoea. Kidney transplant done. Are they related?

I was just told that I have a seriously low number of white cells. I have been recovering for two months from a kidney transplant. I have had diarrhea much of this time. Is there any connection between diarrhea and low white cell count?
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
The white cells in our body are like a policemen of our body. They protect us from various infections. Since you have a low white cell count, it makes you more prone to different kind of infections commonest one being a gut infection causing diarrhea.
You need to get a stool culture done to find out the causative organism so that specific antibiotic treatment can be started.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.