Have low level of HDL and good cholesterol. How does this affect on health?

My brother-in-law has low level of HDL (High density Lipoprotein) or good cholestrol. How does that affect his overall health? He follows a very balanced diet,still the level doesnot increase? Is there any medictaion required to increase HDL in body? Does the low level of HDL lads to any cardio related health problem in future?
Posted Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later

Lipid profile depends on genetic and dietary factors and life style. Lipid abnormality is one of the risk factor for heart disease.
We must see full report of Lipid profile in total; if possible kindly upload scan report.

Modification of life-style such as food habits, cessation of smoking, cutting down alcoholic beverages, etc., are helpful.
Weight control and regular exercises are corner stone of lipid management.

Fats calories should be restricted to less than 30% out of which 10% saturated fats and remaining is mono and poly unsaturated fats.
There are few drugs, which can help to increase HDL namely NIACIN; but many times side effects limit its use. If triglycerides are also high, a drug Fibric acid derivative like Fenofibrate is useful. In addition, intake of Omega 3 fatty acid (EPA and DHA) is helpful. 
Hence, I would like to see the complete lipid profile report.

Hope this information helps you, if you have any further query, I will be happy to help you.

Dr.Akhilesh Dubey M.D.