Have low grade fever, no BM, passing gas. Have IBS. Flare up or ulcerative colitis?

HELLO...yes ty..I have had IBS for years...starts with constipation at first then cramping and gurgling to the left of my belly button spasm like pain...constipation first then diahrrea with BM's...well the other night I had this powerful urgency to go...i ran to bathroom...had hard stools at first then diahreea as usual..three bowel movements later which were diahreea i noticed musus tinged with blood in the toilet and some blood from hemorrhoids, GI doc couldnt see me the next day so my primary doc said it was colitis/...gave me flagyl and anusol...any thoughts? ty..i have a gi doc appt tomorrow morning...scared...could it be something else? ty so brother has crohns and divertic runs in family on moms all happened after a mcdonalds southwest salad which has corn in it and balsamic ....?? i felt like i had a low grade fever and havent had a BM since two days ago but have been passing gas primary said to drink water alot,use metamucil ..i have been and XXXXXXX corn tho out of fear...ty..OH AND MY LAST COLONOSCOPY was 3 yrs ago...just ibs they said...the pain is gone for now...could it have been a flare up or do you think it's ulcerative colitis or colitis??...should i avoid certain foods? can i drink coffee decaf or juices and fruits and veggies?
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 7 hours later

Thanks for getting in touch with Healthcare Magic.

You have IBS and earler colonoscopy three years back was normal.

Since colonoscopy was normal, there is very less likelihood of you having Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis. Diverteculae can develop in the meanwhile, but your symptoms do not suggest diverteculitis.

It seems eating outside food caused some bowel infection that precipitated your IBS and hence the pain and diarrhea. Your GP did the right thing by giving your flagyl and an antibiotic. Blood in stools is another problem, which can be because of haemorrhoids. But exact cause can only be ascertained by a repeat colonoscopy.

IBS usually gets precipitated by infections and stress. So stay away from stress. Avoid eating raw food materials outside your home. Coffee, milk and juices can also precipitate diarrhea.

Hope my suggesstions help you. If you have any further queries, you can get in touch again.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal