Have low grade fever. Had malaria, fatigue and no appetite. Using doxicycline. Medication?

Hi, I travel back and forth to central africa for work... I have been running a low grade fever that comes at night and sometimes leaves in the morning. I have had extensive lab work ups including malaria and bilhazia tests all of which appear to be normal. But I am having extreme fatigue and just not feeling right. I have had p falciparum malaria 18 times from separate incidents in the last 6 years. This doesn't seem to be that. This low grade fever has been going on for about a year, I have little to no appetite, feel fuzzy headed and just have to push myself through my day. I was on a day course of doxicycline but as soon as I came off it, the fever returned. I really need to find some answers... Thank you.
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later

What is your job profile like? It seems like a chronic ongoing infection that is occurring in you. It does not seem to be malaria to me too.

Doxycycline worked for you. That means to say that there is high chance of rickettsial infestation in you along with leptospirosis, and other tropical illnesses that are vector borne.

To educate you about this, there are specific lab tests available that are expensive and not routinely done. It is usually a clinical diagnosis made by a physician according to patient symptoms and clue.

If I were your treating doctor, I would treat you empirically for the rickettsial diseases with Doxycycline twice daily for 5 to 7 days. Meanwhile, I would advise complete bed rest, plenty of fluids, and keeping your living area free of mosquitoes and other vector.

These diseases are debilitating as they are hard on the joints, and do make you feel fuzzy headed.

Please do write back for further discussion on this. Hope this helps you.