Have low globulin and high ag ratio. what should I do?

Sep 2012

I have low globulin 1.9 , and ag ratio 2.6 high
Posted Sun, 30 Dec 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later

Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, in serum, there are two main proteins albumin and globulin. Normally, albumin constitute near about 60 percent of total protein. So, albumin is the main protein of concern. Its lower level indicates many disease including kidney and liver psthology.

Clinically, we take 1.8 as lower normal value for globulin. According to this, your globulin level is just more than the lower value.

Normally albumin : globulin ratio is more than 1.5. In your case, it is 2.6. It is a very good indicator of serum protein balance. Higher value rules out any abnormality regarding serum protein.

So, there is no problem in your report. But it should be correlated clinically. Consult with your treating doctor about this.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Have low globulin and high ag ratio. what should I do? 10 hours later
My albumin was 4.9
So is that normal
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 34 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.

Yes, the albumin is within normal limit.