Have low fever, swelling, pain and purple patches on skin. Blood test done. Found myelocytes. Concerned

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
I recently got blood work done from my dermatologist for pink purple rash like patches on by skin with some swelling, pain, and low fevers. It came back showing myelocets seen as well as a nrbc count of 1 should I be concerned or get a second opinion?
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 4 hours later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Myelocytes are neutrophils at an intermediate stage of differentiation.

Usually these cells are not seen in peripheral blood smear.

Their presence some times associated with some bacterial infections due to which the Myelocytes will come into blood stream as a response to a systemic bacterial infections.

Presence of nucleated RBCs are suggestive of presence of immature RBC in the blood stream which is seen in some varieties of anemia.

But the interpretation of this report requires consideration of your swelling, pain, and low grade fever and the other findings of this blood investigation.

Therefore I advise you to consult the Dermatologist for the interpretation of the test results and to assess the need for referral to a Physician to take care of your symptoms.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have low fever, swelling, pain and purple patches on skin. Blood test done. Found myelocytes. Concerned 11 hours later
I talk to my dermatologist about it and she didn't seem too worried she says that the lab results don't explain the rash.I have a history of headaches dizziness and fatigue and now the rashes that are painful to the tuch,low grade fevers, and itching do you think that this blood work could signal lukeima or another underlying condition?

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for getting back.

First I advise you stop worrying and don't be panic.

As I told this type of blood investigation work up is seen in some bacterial infections.

The presence of Myelocytes in the peripheral blood is not an exclusive sign of leukemia or a specific underlying condition.

As you are having low grade fevers, swelling, rash which is painful, and itching further physical examination by a physician and further investigations are required to know the cause and to come to a conclusion.

Therefore I advise you to consult the Physician.

Regards.