Have low blood sugar. Experienced loss of conscious. Taking valium, vitamins. Family history of stroke, seizure

History- 30 year old female- mother of four- healthy besides low blood sugar- and general anxiety that occasionally and sometimes rarely take Valium 5mg for. Other then that just lots of vitamins. Paternal side hx of strokes and seizures. Problem started roughly 10 years ago- was sick with flu but getting over it- smoked a cigerrette- felt a buzz- was walking and went down- was unable to walk or talk very briefly and they say I was just trying to walk while passing out- fractured my skull on that one. Did not loose bowel or bladder control- test for seizures and they could not produce any. Everything was good. Over next few years- maybe 3 other times felt a buzz off cig then head starts to XXXXXXX I'm unable to speak at this time. Years have gone on in between these episodes. However last night was the worst. Have been sick sore throat cough- so really been pushing food and fluids. Came back to work and had lost a patient- was extremely busy night and I left unit to smoke. Was on the phone at the time. Felt it coming and said I think I'm getting a buzz off this cig as I lowered myself to kneeling for protection. Started convulsing so fell onto my side- could not speak- I could see - I could hear- I was shouting in my mind but the words would not come out. This lasted a minute or so before I could finally get a syllable out ha ha ha ha ha ha until finally XXXXXXX help" came out of my mouth. In fact my words came back before the tightening of y body totally stopped. I had to regain my composure and go back to work but I can say the experience has traumatized me. I stopped and bought patches to try to quit smoking since this appears a trigger but I would like to know what is wrong with me. Please help.
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 35 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

I understand your concern

I have noted your complaints

I feel that you may be having non-epileptic seizures. This will require a prolonged Video-EEG test (a test which tells if some has seizures and also help the doctor understand what exactly happen during the event like yours. It will help us read the brain waves during the event and thus classify if this is a true or non-epileptic seizure). This test can be done in hospitals and will be read by Epilepsy specialist. I advise you to see a local epilepsy specialist who will guide you.

Hope this clarfies your query
Please get back to me in case you have any concern

Best wishes

Dr Gopal K Dash MD, DM, Post-Doctoral fellowship (Epilepsy)
Consultant Neurologist and Epilepsy specialist XXXXXXX Hrudayalaya Hospital

My Blog