Have low blood pressure due to vagus nerve. Started sweating and feeling nausea. Treatment?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
I HAD A VEGUS NERVE INCIDENT A FEW DAYS AGO WHICH CAUSED MY BLOOD PRESSURE TO GO DOWN RATHER SUDDENLY AND I HAD AN EPISODE OF SNYCOPE. WHAT WOULD CAUSE THIS TO HAPPEN? i WAS TAKEN TO THE ER AND DIAGNOSED WITH IT THERE. I WAS SITTING AT MY COMPUTER WHEN I STARTED TO SWEAT AND THEN FELT NAUSEATED AND SUBSEQUENTLY PASSED OUT.
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Vaso vagal syncope is a common condition, where the affected person loses consciousness for a short while. Other accompanying symptoms may include darkness in front of eyes, sweating, giddiness, etc. Usually, complete recovery occurs.

The common underlying reasons are a lack of blood flow to brain due to poor cardiac output and low BP. The usual triggering factors are delayed meals, tiredness & exhaustion, heat & humidity, pain, fear, dehydration, etc.

If none of the above are found, then you should go for evaluation with a cardiac electrophysiologist to rule out neuro cardiogenic syncope. They would perform a HUTT (head up tilt test).

At present, there is no need to worry, as most cases do not have any serious underlying cause for syncope.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist