Have low back pain on second day of periods. Pads and pants soaked with clear fluid. What ca this be?

I am 49 years old and on day two of my menstrual cycle. I have had lower left back pain for months now with no relief. It is especially painful during sleep and upon waking. This morning, miraculously, my back pain was gone. A few hours later, today at work, I noticed that my pad, panties and pants were completely soaked. I know I had not urinated, just soaked. No odor; just clear liquid. I left work to change clothes and called my Gyno. I have an appointment tomorrow a.m. I feel this occurrence might be related to my back pain. Could a cyst of some origin have ruptured, relieving pressure on my back. My belly is distented, but I'm not in much pain.
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Bahaa 1 hour later

Welcome to healthcare magic.

Back pain has many causes, and sure the female genital system problems are one of them.
Cervical pathology (infection, polyps, tumors) is the most one radiating to the back.

I cannot accurately identify the source of this copious discharge, but it most probably indicates a cervicovaginal infection (trichomonas or bacterial vaginosis).

A cyst in the ovary if ruptured will spill it's contents in the abdomen, and there is no way out through the vagina.

A cervical cyst or a collection of fluid in the uterus may cause this although very rare.

Having an appointment with your gynecologist is a very good step.

Thorough history taking and examination and ultrasound should be done in order to evaluate the case and to identify or exclude serious problems.

I am very interested to know the result of your visit to the doctor, so that I can discuss with you the options of treatment.

I am waiting to answer more queries and I wish you good luck.

Dr. Ahmed Bahaa.