Have low back pain. Report showed cystial mass of left adnexal. Suggest?

Infertility Specialist
Question
I HAD A MRI W/WO CONTRAST FOR LOW BACK PAIN, WHICH INADVERTENTLY SHOWED A 7.4 CYSTIAL MASS OF THE LEFT ADNEXAL, I AM FOLLOWING UP WITH MY GYN ON MONDAY BUT AM VERY WORRIED I'M 48 HAVE HAD AN ABLASION SO HAVEN'T HAD A PERIOD SINCE 2007 AND NOT SURE IF IN MENAPAUSE AT THIS TIME. MY MATERNAL GRANDMOTHER DIED IN THE 50'S FROM SOME SORT OF FEMALE CANCER, MY MOTHER PASSED AWAY IN 2004 AT 56YO FROM BREAST CA, MY MATERNAL GREAT GRANDMOTHER SURVIVED UTERINE CA,
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be cancer

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX, I read your query and I understand your concerns. You are unlikely to hsve reached menopause at 48. Though there is family history of carcinoma, this does not appear as carcinoma of ovary. It must be a regular simple cyst. So be relaxed till you see your gynecologist who might advice biopsy of the cyst and few blood test. Be positive and relaxed. Wait for the reports. All the best. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol