Have low back and knee pain. Can I do cloying to improve fitness levels?

I wish to improve my fitness levels and I am considering cycling,however I have a lower back injury and a knee injury,I am able to walk briskly generally with no ill effect,I have been told though that cycling could have an adverse effect on my injurys is this correct please
Posted Mon, 23 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, if the injury is a recent one

Detailed Answer:

It depends on the type of injury your back and knee sustained and also depends on the time lapsed after the injury.

If the injury is a old one then it could have healed completely causing no complication on cycling but if there is any defective healing, malunioin of the fractured ends, joint subluxation etc then playing would be XXXXXXX

I would like to know some more details on the injury you had and if possible any reports of the tests on the same.

Waiting for your response,
Follow-up: Have low back and knee pain. Can I do cloying to improve fitness levels? 8 hours later
Dr the knee injury is an old one occurred in 1989 ,when I was weight training,I was bench pressing and the carriage slipped,for nearly 18 years I had a desk job and I believe the back problems were caused by that,as far as I am aware everything has healed properly,I no longer have any relevant reports I'm afraid.
I am able to move about with no problems but occasionally I get pain in my knee and back it does not restrict me,but I am just concerned that cycling could exacerbate the problem. thank you
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Try cycling and observe

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the information.

Since the injuries are very old, I believe they could not cause any complication in simple exercise like cycling.

I suggest you try cycling and observe for few days if there is any increase in the pain or sustained pain the to quit.

I consider after few days, cycling would become beneficial.