Have low T (120). MRI militer lesion on pituitary gland. What is the prevalence of cancer?

Hi, I am 63 year old male with 7 year history of low T. About 2 years ago I went on T shots but my hemoglobin/ Hemocrit XXXXXXX to 18.5 and 59. Stopping T one month ago my levels are back to virtually normal range. However, my T dropped to 120. My endro dr. Ordered blood work and MRI a week ago. The MRI shows a 7 mililiter lesion on my pituitary gland. While he ordered a lot of initial blood work all of which looked good he now has added T1, LH and LSH, cortical, Prolatin, and another CBC, and T. I think the others were done previously. Questions: what is the prevalence of cancer? Is it likely a microandenoma? Is there a certain type of tumor that's more prevalent with the presentation of Low T with low libido and a bit of ED? What is the gold standard treatment for a 7 mil tumor? Also, can it generally be determined from MRI if its a benign tumor? Thank you.

Also, I reviewed the order and it includes ACTH, not T1 but T4, Corisol, Prolactin, TSH, FSH and LH, and Alpha Substrate. I think anything not included here was evaluated on first blood work tests and were good.
Posted Fri, 9 Aug 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 1 hour later
Your endocrinologist has ordered appropriate labs.

The lesion could possibly be a microadenoma. This type of tumor is usually benign. Further testing helps us determine if it is making any pituitary hormone in excess, or causing deficiency.

For example,if it is making to much prolactin it is called prolactinoma. Excess prolactin can indirectly lower the FSH and LH which in turn cause low Testosterone.

The following link will give you more information on pituitary tumors:
If the tumor is not causing any hormonal imbalance, and not growing larger on sequential scans (typically done annually for microadenomas) then no treatment is necessary
Follow-up: Have low T (120). MRI militer lesion on pituitary gland. What is the prevalence of cancer? 12 minutes later
Thank you Dr.

Is there a percentage known as to the incidence of cancer and not benign?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 3 hours later
Pituitary adenomas are virtually all benign