Have low BP but racing heart rate specially when lying down. Was on high BP medicine. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My blood pressure is 101/54 but pulse rate of 109, i am laying down and my heart started racing. It does this a lot. i used to take med for high blood pressure. my doctor suddenly stopped it. My bp usually would run 120/60 with med. What is happening
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be a normal physiological response.

Detailed Answer:
The racing of the heart on lying down could be due to normal circulatory changes in the body to compensate for a lower blood pressure. With the blood pressure readings that you have mentioned, any medication to lower the blood pressure is not needed.
The other reasons that need to be ruled out if the symptoms are persistent include-
1.Electrolyte imbalance-Abnormal levels of potassium, magnesium and calcium can cause such feeling. A simple blood test will rule out these.
2.Hyperthyroidism- Raised levels of thyroid hormone is a common cause.
3.Excessive intake of caffeine, tobacco and alcohol can cause anxiety leading to a racing heart. Restrict their use as much as possible.
4.Illicit drugs use and other medicines might cause this.
5. Avoid stress and anxiety. Practice yoga, deep breathing exercises and relaxation exercises.
You need to rule out all these causes with the help of simple blood tests under the guidance of your physician if the symptoms are recurrent and bothersome.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Have low BP but racing heart rate specially when lying down. Was on high BP medicine. Suggest? 52 minutes later
I don't drink, smoke or use any medications. I take multi vitamins daily. I was born with a heart murmur, but has only caused problems when I was pregnant. Doctor did say something about 20 years ago about a my upper heart chamber on left side slightly enlarged. I am about 10 lbs over weight and have been excersing to try to lose. I lose breath occasionally but not severly.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need investigations to find any cardiac proble

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
Since you were born with a murmur, the heart chamber is enlarged and there is breathlessness also present, the cardiac causes for your symptoms needs to be ruled out.
Hence you would benefit by consulting your primary doctor and getting evaluated with a few tests as mentioned below-

‎1. Complete blood counts
‎2. ECG in all leads with a rhythm strip in lead 2
3. Lipid profile , Blood sugar (Fasting and Post prandial), HBAIC,
4. Thyroid function tests
5. Chem 14 panel

Hope my answer is helpful.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.