Have low BP and started shivering. How to gain weight?

Feb 2013

Hi Doctor ,
My name is XXXXXXX ,now and then my bp goes very low and i feel shevring always in my hands wt should i do ,and also i want to put on weight my weight was 49 kg before 1 month but now its reduced to 46 Kg
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 4 hours later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Before answering your query, I need some details related to your problems.

What is your blood pressure normally?

Is low blood pressure is associated with any change in body posture, intake of food, or prolonged standing?

Low blood pressure is called hypotension and in a healthy person on and off hypotension is due to postural hypotension or neutrally mediated hypotension (NMH).

Postural (orthostatic) hypotension occurs by a sudden change in body position, most often when shifting from lying position to standing or sitting position.

This type of hypotension usually lasts only a few seconds or minutes.

Some times this type of hypotension occurs after eating which is called postprandial orthostatic hypotension.

NMH occurs in young adults and children. It usually occurs when a person stands for a long time.

Shivering of hands often due to anxiety, tremors, and as a pert of generalized weakness with underweight.

You are underweight and a loss of 3 kgs weight in a months is a concerning issue.

Underweight and the loss of weight should be investigated by a Physician after physical examination to look for any chronic infections and hormonal problems like thyroid and adrenal gland dysfunction.

After ruling out any medical cause for your underweight and weight loss you can consult a Dietician for an appropriate diet plan.

Take a well balanced and nutritious diet containing fruits, vegetables, roots and tubers.

In addition to your regular breakfast, lunch, and dinner you can try the following :

Ghee can be added in the meal to make it calorie dense.

Eat boiled eggs two per day.

Ground nut contains high calories and proteins so you can eat products made from them like 'chikkies' which contain jaggery also.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.