Have low BP. Was in drug induced coma. On anti seizure medicines. Are these the cause of low BP?

Hi, Dr. XXXXXXX . my BP is on the low side why is it identified as "soft"?? I was in a drug induced coma for 18 days, wow, 13 years ago now for viral encephilitis , and remain on anti seizure meds. Does all this have bearing on my BP XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 4 hours later

Thanks for your query to healthcare magic.
I would like to know a few more details to help you better:

1. How much is your BP now?
2. Are you experiencing any of the following symptoms like dizziness, sweating, fainting attacks etc ?

It is unlikely that your past history of coma has any relation to your current low BP.

But the drugs you are taking at present can have effect on your BP, since you are on maximum dosage. esp. Phenytoin can cause Low BP. Also topiramide can increase the blood levels of phenytoin, which can further aggrevate the side effects of phenytoin, hence you need to be monitored carefully by a neurologist, he can order drug levels in your blood & adjust dosage accordingly. If needed may even change the medications.But it all depends on the value of your BP & the symptoms affecting you due to this low BP. If you are not experiencing any symptoms related to low BP, then treating your seizure takes priority than worrying about slightly low BP.

Dont worry, just consult a neurologist & discuss these points.
Hope the information was useful. I will be glad to answer any further queries in this regard. If no kindly close the query & rate it.

Take care,
Dr. Balaji Chinnasami, MD