Have loss of pigmentation on penis. Can this be a form of herpes?

I have loss of pigmentation on my penis on the underside of my shaft. I am african american. can this be a form of herpes. it does it a little. and I do have on small red spot that does itch. The red spot is not raised. it is sort of like a very brush burn or bursted pimple but flat.
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Herpes does not present with loss of pigment

Detailed Answer:

I have never seen herpes presenting with loss of pigment on the shaft of the penis. It was burning pain, redness, rash and vesicles.

Pigment on the undershaft of the penis depends on the melanocytes in the hair follicles of the shaft. These cells can be disrupted for multiple reasons and it is commonly observed, hence the loss of pigment. We cannot derive the exact reasons most times.

Regarding the red spot is because of friction during an intercourse or because of a rub by some sort of allergen. It should fade off on its own. If it stings are stays more than two weeks then you can get a PCP see it in your area.

Hope the explanations help.