Have loose feeling of fluid in the elbow. What should I do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
not sure exactly, what i did to my elbow, but 2 days ago all of a sudden i had a huge puff of loose feeling
fluid build up in my elbow. i think i might have put pressure on it wrong climbing into a small cubby hole.
but i never really felt any pain. now the 'loose' feeling fluid appears as though it is starting to 'harden'.
what should i do? thx

i am currently working out of town until friday dec 7th. please let me know if i should see a doctor before that
Posted Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The loose feeling of fluid in the joint is likely to be due to a hematoma formation which has now hardened. It can be due to a joint effusion too.
If the swelling around the elbow is increasing and the movements around elbow are painful then you need to consult an orthopedician to rule out any bone injury. A raised temperature in the area suggests an infection which needs an immediate medical attention.
In case there is no pain then you can do a cold compress in the area and apply a crepe bandage in the area to avoid any further injury. Avoid all the movements of the elbow till you see your doctor.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.