Have localized morphea. Had two miscarriages. Are they connected to each other?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
I have localized morphea and have now had two miscarriages I am wanting to know if the miscarriages are possibly connected with the morphea thanks
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
hi XXXXXX,

localized morphea is a form of scleroderma which is more common in females than males.
it usually occurs between 3rd to 5th decade, though can occur early also.
there is no much data regarding morphea in pregnancy, according to available studies around 24% of abortion rate reported.
women with morphea usually have sub-fertility and in case of pregnancy they will be affected more in third trimester usually.

if you become pregnant again better to be get managed with,
-regular antenatal checkups,
-including checking for blood pressure and edema, assessing cardiopulmonary, renal and gastro-intestinal systems, symptomatic treatment for musculoskeletal problems,
-nutritional diet etc.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Have localized morphea. Had two miscarriages. Are they connected to each other? 4 minutes later
So you don't think it is related?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 9 minutes later
hi XXXXXX,

what I want to tell is some cases of abortions are reported in women with morphea but there is around 71% normal deliveries also, so there is no sufficient data to tell exactly the relation,
but as we cannot exclude it completely better to be cautious from the beginning of next pregnancy.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Have localized morphea. Had two miscarriages. Are they connected to each other? 3 minutes later
What can be problems in the 3rd trimester

hi,

complications that can develop in third trimester:
rapid development of hypertension,
renal failure,
preterm labor,
malabsorption, increased constipation,
growth retardation of the baby etc,
but don’t worry with proper followup most of these can be prevented.

Follow-up: Have localized morphea. Had two miscarriages. Are they connected to each other? 19 minutes later
Can morphea cause problems to the placenta in early pregnancy? As my last miscarriage happened as placenta was developing do you know if morphea could have attacked?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 10 hours later
hi XXXXXX,

as morphea is localized form it affects mainly skin, affecting XXXXXXX organs is somewhat less, but the risk cannot be completely excluded,
as it affects blood vessels by causing proliferation of connective tissue, inflammatory response and leading to fibrosis of vessels it can affect the growth of the placenta and also its function.