Have lividity in lower back. What is the cause and how to get rid of it?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have lividity in my lower back. I'm wondering what the cause is and can I get rid of it. I do have a lower back injury two bulged discs.
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Lividity in the lower back can happen due to a trauma to the site causing mild collection of the blood in the area. After the blood cells break down, the discoloration is present for weeks which gradually fades off.
The other cause could be a pigmentation in the area due to overactive melanocytes. In both the cases, the discoloration is harmless and does not require any treatment.
To get rid of the pigmentation, your dermatologist can guide you regarding the methods like dermabrasion or chemical peel.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.