Have liver cirrhosis. Done with LFT test, Hematology test and ultrasound. Prescribed with MRPC test. Treatment?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question dad has been detacted as liver cirrhosis.he has been prescribed further MRPC test.All his LFT test,Hematology test and ultrasound reports are attached with this query.Kindly review it and advice me what all further test he needs to do.i need to know is his liver has fatal damages and is the desease is curable and what are the types of tretement and cost for it..please give me all the details..thanks for your kind support.
Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 13 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I have gone through the reports of your father which you have sent.
The liver enzymes are normal suggestive of normal hepatic function . Only the bilirubin is marginally raised. But protein content and other enzymes being normal suggests that the liver reserves are well maintained.
The only worrisome thing is that HBsAg is positive. This is a fore runner to cirrhosis and latter even cancer of the liver.
The ultrasound shows just alteration of tissue architecture. There is no free fluid in the abdomen ,no mass in the liver and no portal cavernomas.
I would advise the following for your father
1. Upper GI endoscopy to look for esophageal varices. If you father has never had any bleeding or black stools but has these varices then prophylactic medications can prevent life threatening hemorrhages from the upper GI tract.
2. Dietary modifications typically set for liver dysfunction patients advised by a medical dietician.
3. Periodic monitoring of liver function tests.(including alpha feto protein)
4. A liver biopsy. If this shows active inflammation which is unlikely as enzymes are normal then one can consider anti viral therapy.
5. Liver tonics to build up and regularize liver function.
Now coming to your questions.
1. The liver as yet does not show fatal changes.
2. The disease is by no way curable but is surely controllable.
3. In your fathers case it involves only medical treatment and periodic lab testing.
The cost of which is not much.
I hope this answers your querry.