Have liquid filled itchy blisters under skin of entire feet. Is it athletes foot?

Dermatologist
Question
I have what I thought was athletes foot. it is on both feet and cover the intire foot. there are little liquid filled blisters deep under the skin that you really can't see or feel until you start scratching it. you have no choice but to scratch it because it is a very intense itch that is not relieved until I scratch all the way through the skin and pop the blisters. I first got this when I was about 23 yrs old in one little spot on 1 foot. it has gradually spread to cover the whole foot and then the other foot. it doesn't itch until night, as soon as I take off my boots and air hits them. after that i'm just digging and digging until their bleeding. I've tried every athletes foot medicine there is with no results I don't know what else you want? before I paid it said a doctor had reviewed my question and was ready to answer it. was that just to get money or what?
Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Pompholyx feet Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX , I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same. It takes some time for the queries to be answered, so please be patient. Form your description, I differ from the diagnosis that you have made. You do not seem to be having atheletes foot as it does not itch. Your problem seems to be that of pompholyx feet which is an eczematous condition of the skin. Now in this condition, there is development of multiple deep seated fluid filled lesions on the feet. These appear like small sago grains. These lesions are intensely itchy in nature and on scratching there is sometimes discharge of clear fluid. Just to confirm the diagnosis, it would be great if you can click some close up pictures of the skin lesions and upload them here on this page. You can also mail the pictures at YYYY@YYYY with heading as ref to Dr Geetika Paul. Now as far as the treatment is concerned, you need to apply a topical steroid cream like clobetasol over the affected areas atleast twice a day. Keep the feet moisturized. Apply a good moisturizer on your feet atleast two to three times a day. Avoid rubber or plastic footwear. Wear leather or canvas shoes only. Hope it helps If you need any clarifications, please ask. Dr Geetika Paul.

Follow-up: Have liquid filled itchy blisters under skin of entire feet. Is it athletes foot? 2 hours later
as I stated you really can't see the condition. the only time you can see anything is after I scratch holes in my feet trying to get down to the itch. there isn't any separate leasions or patches of blisters. they are really all over my feet including between my toes. when I first pull my boots off you really can't even feel the bumps. when I start scratching and rubbing is when it becomes inflamed and then you can feel them real good. it's very strange how it like wakes up when the boots come off and air gets to them. one spot will start itching and as i'm scratching that area the itch will start spreading around my entire foot. I have used one of my big wire brushes I use for welding to scratch them before. it is a real intense itch and miserable. sometimes over the years it has gone dormant and won't bother me for a month or two but always comes back. it has slowly spread over both feet one at a time. I've noticed it is starting to work it's way up around the ancle now. that is becoming a problem because when I scratch a sore on them it's hard to wear my work boots.

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Eczmea feet : pompholyx Detailed Answer: Hi again, I can understand that it is a very itchy condition. You should firstly keep your feet moisturized as fer as possible, Use a good moisturizer or oils over your feet three to four times a day. keeping it dry will increase the itching. Apply a topical steroid cream like clobetasol or hydrocortisol over the feet twice a day. In addition, take some antihistamines for few days. Follow the footwear advise as told. I am sure all this will be of help to you if followed. This is essentially a type of eczema and has a chance of recurrence. If you take the treatment continuously, it will decrease the chances of the same. Hope it helps, If you have any other queries,please ask, Dr Geetika Paul.