Have light headed and pins and needles in arm and legs. MRI found arthritis in neck and pinched nerve. Suggest?

have light headed and pins and needles in arm and leg left side only been see n by nerulogist and had many mri and heart tests no one seems to have answer, mri found artharistist in right side of neck and pinched nerve but doesn't explain left side symtoms symtoms last 3 or 4 weeks and then go away for awhile nothing to perdict when they come back
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The problem most likely is pinched nerve

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX for your health concerns.

I will try my best to give you the best information. I can understand how difficult it must be for you with these constant nagging issues.

You have mentioned in your history that you had an MRI saying that there is arthritis in the neck vertebrae which is causing nerve root compression.

This is a very significant finding which can explain all of the symptoms you are experiencing including lightheadedness.

The nerve after exiting the spinal column branches off into two parts, a posterior branch and an anterior branch, the posterior branch mixes with the nerve from the other side(posterior branch from the other side) and then they go on to supply their designated areas, in this process there will be some nerves which will cross over and supply the opposite side hence you can have false representation in the brain which leads to misinterpretation from the brain about where exactly the pain is coming from...... I know we have a huge brain and all that, but we are still getting used to having such a big brain in terms of evolutionary time scale so things can go wrong.

Our brains are not perfect, they can mistake the location of the pain signal and so the brain feels as if both sides are hurting where as the problem is on one side only.

The last few cranial nerves (The nerves which emerge directly from within the brain, inside the skull), come down along the vertebrae so any inflammation of the upper neck bones can irritate these nerves causing lightheadedness and altered sensations on the opposite side.

Please do use a cervical collar to reduce the symptoms and make sure that the arthritis in the neck is controlled well, if this is achieved then I am sure all your problems will be solved.

If you have further queries, you could write back to me, in that case I would request you to kindly attach all the relevant reports and write all the details about all your problems so that I can guide you well.

Hope you will start feeling well soon. Wishing you good health and happiness.

Warm regards,

Dr. Yogesh. D