Ask a Dentist   »  

Have leukoplakia on the bottom of tongue. Referred for oral and maxilla-facial surgery. Suggest??

Dentist, Prosthodontics
Question
Hi, my dentist spotted a leukoplakia on the bottom of my tongue and has referred me to a consultant in oral and maxilla-facial surgery. Will I have to have a biopsy, or is it possible that he may just have a look and send me home?
I have been a heavy smoker for about 40 years and my father has Stage 4 mouth cancer.
Posted Sat, 1 Jun 2013 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 33 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thank you for the query. The leukoplakia is considered as one of the premalignant lesion. Since you have habit of heavy smoking for about 40 years and has family history of mouthy cancer, it is better to visit the consultant at the earliest. It is highly recommended to go for biopsy. If the lesion is in earlier stage, it is curable provided you quit the tobacco habit and follow all the instructions given by consultant.
Hope this answers your query. If you have anything to be further clarified I am available for the discussion.
Wishing you speedy recovery
With Happy regards

Follow-up: Have leukoplakia on the bottom of tongue. Referred for oral and maxilla-facial surgery. Suggest?? 6 days later
I have seen the consultant who has confirmed that I do have a leukoplakia and I have been booked in for a biopsy. Is it true that they will remove the cells anyway, even if they find they are benign? My Father was told his cells were benign but that they were going to do an operation to remove them anyway "as a precaution" in case they spread and became invasive. He now has Stage 4 mouth cancer because they came back after the first op and spread to his lymph nodes. He is in hospital now recovering from the second op where they removed the lymph nodes and part of his tongue.

The consultant said it wasn't hereditary, but I am not sure whether I believe him or not since it seems odd that I have the same symptoms as my Father initially had.

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 12 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thank you for the update. It is better to remove the lesion in question along with little bit of apparently normal surrounding tissue. After microscopic examination of the biopsied part, they will be able to tell whether it is cancerous or benign. The main culprit to cause such lesion is tobacco.
Hope this clarifies your doubts. If you want to discuss anything further I am happy to do so.
Wish you speedy recovery.
With happy regards,

Follow-up: Have leukoplakia on the bottom of tongue. Referred for oral and maxilla-facial surgery. Suggest?? 3 hours later
I have phoned the admissions department at the hospital and they have said that the next appointment they have available (for the biopsy) is 9th July which seems rather a long time to wait. Do you think I should try and arrange to have it done at another (larger) hospital a bit sooner?

Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 3 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thank you. If possible it is better to do earlier. First stop the smoking habit.

with happy regards,