Have less eyebrow hair. Is there anyway to make it thick?

Hello Doctor,

Off late, I observed very less hairs in my eyebrows. Is there a way to get it thick.

Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Neera Kataria 21 hours later

Thanks for the query. I shall try to answer your query regarding less eyebrow hair and ways to make it thick; a variety of options are available as follows:
- Topical Minoxidil may be used
- Topical steroids or injectable steroids
- Latisse (eyelash Enhancer) can be tried
- Hair Transplant can be done(In case of permanent hair loss)
- Cosmetic such as eyebrow pencil, tatooing, artificial eyebrows can be tried.

Eyebrow hair loss can be associated with certain medical conditions like hypothyroidism, nutritional deficiency, etc. At times you may see other symptoms with these conditions. Therefore it would be better to get a few laboratory tests such as serum TSH, ferritin, vitamin B12, A and D levels checked. If any deficit is found, it can be corrected by simple supplements.

Other causes include stress, ageing, alopecia areata, eczema, local infection, etc.

Though the above options of treatment are effective, you need to try finding the cause of eyebrow hair loss. It can help selecting the treatment option. You may consult a doctor nearby for the best treatment approach for you

I shall like to know in a bit more detail about the duration of hair loss , whether diffuse or patchy, one or both eyebrows are involved, any itching or pain over the area is involved.

Hope this answers your query. Feel free to ask me any doubts

Follow-up: Have less eyebrow hair. Is there anyway to make it thick? 2 days later
Hello Neera,

Thanks for the response.

Yes, the diffuse is not even on both eyebrows. I had very bad itching at the eyebrows now and then.

Please suggest, way forward.

Thanks & Regards,
Answered by Dr. Neera Kataria 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

If you had itching, this indicates eczema, local infection, thyroid disorder or nutritional deficiency.

In that case, I feel this is temporary and the hair will grow back.
You may use Minoxidil locally.

Anyways get the lab tests mentioned in my previous post done.

If you still want any clarification, feel free to contact again.

Thanks Doctor.

I will go ahead and get the thyroid tests and using the Minoxidil on the eyebrows.

Answered by Dr. Neera Kataria 2 hours later
ok, you may do that!

It may take 2-3 months for visible hair growth.

You may contact me whenever you feel like.