Have lesions inside mouth. Took antibiotic. Worried for cancer

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have a picture id like viewing and telling if it looks normal or not.
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
I ve seen your photo and It definitely doesnt look normal.
I cant believe that your doctor didnt notice anything abnormal here.
This is typical picture of bacterial tonsilitis and pharyngiits, most commonly caused by Streptococal bacterial infection. it needs to be treated by antibiotics.
You have typical symtpoms for it. Go to your GP and ask for antistreptoccocal antibiotics sucha as penicilin or cephalosporins.
Tiil that you can take some warm tea and honey. Have a rest and dont drink cold.
Also you should visit othorinologyst for throat examination.

You are free to as new questions.
Follow-up: Have lesions inside mouth. Took antibiotic. Worried for cancer 41 minutes later
Well thanks for that answer, i did have a 1 week course of antibiotics amoxcillian 2x 250mg per day, and that did help a little but not a lot. My biggest fear is that its some kind of cancer, why has the infection lasted a whole year? why doesn't it heal? I've been eating well and resting and it just doesn't get better.

I took a picture in October last year, and you can see that its not so bad in this picture, you can see there are far less nodules but the most visible one did contain some sort of puss which later oozed out which wasn't very pleasant.

I did book my GP but they wont see me until March 12th as i said it wasn't urgent, would you consider this an urgent problem? I am considering going to a private specialist but its very expensive but if theres any chance its cancer then time is important. If it was cancer what sort of cancer is it? what would the name of it be?

Please look at the october picture and compare the 2, will these nodules go away once i start taking antibiotics? You say its bacteria and pharyngitis but wouldn't i have a sore throat? I imagine those would be very painful but there is no noticeable pain just a tiredness in my throat and sometimes the tonsil stones and lymph swelling.

There is always a possibility of cancer especially if you area smoker or alcohol abuser?
But also it isnt very common at this age.
For information the majority of these cancers are squamous cell carcinoma. It is treated surgically, and every cahnce of it needs to be excluded.
Cancer would look like single infiltrating mass with erosions.

For me it looks like bacterial tonsillopharyngitis which usually goes with tonsile hypertrophy, redness and pus filled vesicles. I think this is pretty developed inflammation. This is just a slight improvement that you have mentioned.
It needs to be cured till the end. None of these infection signs should be seen.
And only then we can say that treatment is over.
Infection doesnt need to be painful especially in chronic phase, these photos tell everything. I assure you that this needs to be treated again. If your GP is inadequate the seek for specialist. Thats my advice.
Why didnt antibiotics give results?
First,you must take it more then 1 week, 10-14 days at least?
Amoxcillan is effective for streptococcus which are the most common, BUT not the only patoghen. It can be also caused by Staphylococcus aureus , Mycoplasma pneumoniae, Chlamydia pneumoniae, pertussis, Fusobacterium, diphtheria, syphilis, and gonorrhea...
To find which one of these you have, you need to do throat swab culture.
Then the right antibiotic can be used.

'Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help"
Follow-up: Have lesions inside mouth. Took antibiotic. Worried for cancer 35 minutes later
I will take all this info to doctor and the pics and hopefully get the correct diagnosis this time. Thankyou for your time and concise answers.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 3 minutes later
I am glad i ve been helpful. If you conclude that i ve been right after you see your doctor than you can give me some nice review. Wish you good health