Have leg pain, tenderness near knees and ankles. Taking Tylenol for arthritis. Numbness in fingers, arm pain, trouble walking

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
For the past three months I have been having leg pains. not all over all at ones, sometimes one leg sometimes the other. It feel like XXXXXXX splints in my lower legs, there is tenderness around my knees and ankles. My thighs feel like I had a workout, my sitdown bones hurt, my thigh bones hurt and it rotates nothing is constant. I do have some arthritis in my hands and feet as well as my lower vertebrae, as determined via recent xrays. I take painkillers, tylenol 650 for Arthritis, Ibuprofen, Aleve, all of which give some relief, I have had 5 Physio sessions, which helped some, improved it some. I have had all kinds of tests all of which were negative, I am basically a very healthy person, probably 5 lbs over weight, used to be active until this. will be scheduled for a Ct-Scan asap, I do take anti acid for reflux that is the only med. I am a caregiver for my husband who has dementia, Vascular it is believed, We are in year 8! This was activated by anesthesia \(spinal) for his prostate op. he was 81 at the time and the signs started to show up quickly.this is of course a stressful situation, and Dr prescribed some Ativan.5mg to help shut off the 'computer'! I took it very infrequently until quite recently, I took it every night along with Advil or Tylenol. I am puzzled as to these recent changes and try to find out what I was doing differently from before.Nothing pointed to anything, but when I checked the Lorazapan, I found in the side effects mention of MUSCULOSKELETA INCLUDING MYOPATHY,which has similar systems as I experience. Another symptom that proceeded all this and is still there is my fingers go numb very frequently and sometimes I wake up in the morning with my whole arm hurting like hell, probable from sleeping on it. I am female, age 78, is all this just part of aging, I have some trouble walking, and putting weight om my right leg, therefore I tend to walk much slower, to my chagrin, and have at present a slight limp. I cannot think of anything else to tell you. sincerely XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Hi XXXX, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

After going through the entire description, I am of the opinion that all your symptoms could be related to OSTEOPOROSIS in bones and DEGENERATIVE changes in the joints which are expected at your age.

Also I feel that your habit of smoking (in the past) and use of symbicort (steroid inhaler), both of which causes weakening of bones could have contributed additionally.

Prolonged use of Lorazepam also results in muscle weakness as its side effect.

So, all the above mentioned causes created a cumulative effect on your bones, joints and muscles leading to your present condition.

The general guidelines for managing osteoporosis & osteoarthritis are as follows -

* Life style modifications - Don't smoke, avoid excess alcohol and prevent falls by wearing low heeled,non slippery foot wear
* Regular physical activity in the form of walking for atleast 20 minutes a day which keeps your joints and bones in good shape & strength
* Diet XXXXXXX in calcium like Dark leefy greens, low fat cheese, low fat milk and yogurt, fortified soy products, broccoli, almonds, sardine fish etc.
* Regular intake of Calcium & Vitamin D supplementation.

Regarding your numbness in the fingers, It could be the result of compression of the nerves in the cervical spine due to a protruded disc which can be only diagnosed by having an MRI scan.

Hope I have addressed your issues. Happy to help for any more clarifications.

Good day
Follow-up: Have leg pain, tenderness near knees and ankles. Taking Tylenol for arthritis. Numbness in fingers, arm pain, trouble walking 2 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX for your answers and suggestions. I do wish to add a few more comments to compliment my original story. For 5 years I delivered newspapers every morning for exercise. We live just over the top of quite a steep hill, and my forced 45 min walk took me up and down the steep street and steep driveways.Until 3 mos. ago when i woke with what I thought was Sciatica and very painful. However, duty calls so I took some painkillers and struck out. This went on for about a week and my discomfort was getting worse. I had to quit the paper route, reasoning that I was just aggravating my problem. I have not been able to resume, legs still out of order so to speak. We don't drink, eat small low fat meals, but for 30 years we have taken daily supplements and lots of fibre. My breakfast consists of 1 tbsp pure XXXXXXX 1 tbsp each of raw pumkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, flaxseed. Green food supplement 85.g (because we eat very few veggies) 1 tbsp of ex virgin olive oil, 1/2 cup blueberries, 4 tbsp organic yogurt 2 % - all mixed together, delicious1
the supplements I take are: pacific salmon oil 1000mg x2 (because I do not eat fish; Cal/Mag 2:1 690mg x2; Glucosamine 500mg x4;Vit C 500 mg x2;ASA low dose 81mg, (not prescribed) Vit D3 1000IU x1; Multi vit for women 50+;
I do some Pilates leg exercises every day. I regret that I can no longer wear high heels, not even 2" anymore, do wear shoes with built-in orthotics.
I am no longer taking AtiVan as a sleep aid either. This pretty well fills out the rest of my story. I don't suspect you will find any reason to revise your diagnosis and I will have to accept that I am getting older, which is not easy. Now, if only I could get rid of the pain in my legs, I sleep with heating pad, here or there and pillows between my legs and ankles, and feel quite a bit of stiffness upon rising from bed or chair, which does not last long. But legs do hurt all day long. I guess I would like a further reply if possible, thank you in any case for reading my lifestyle story. good night , wherever you are, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 2 hours later
Hi XXXX, Nice to hear about your daily routine and about your lifestyle.

Just because of the fact that you have maintained a schematic and systematic approach regarding your lifestyle, you are going smoothly till date. Hats off.

If you are experiencing pains right from your hips into your feet along with tingling or numbness, then it could be likely of Sciatica. You need an MRI scan of Lumbar spine to exactly diagnose the problem.

Keep going and don't give up easily.

Take care. Good luck
Follow-up: Have leg pain, tenderness near knees and ankles. Taking Tylenol for arthritis. Numbness in fingers, arm pain, trouble walking 5 hours later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX It will be interesting to learn more after the Ct-Scan. I will carry on, I am not inclined to give up easily.

Am starting another day, and will end our discussions,

yours, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 18 minutes later
Have a great day. Good bye

You can reach me on XXXXXXX for any Musculo-skeletal related problems.